Saturday, July 27, 2013

Remember my Name!


I don't watch much TV at all, so I didn't discover this highly regarded, hard edged series until recently. But it's definitely a look-see: "Breaking Bad."
(image credit)
More striking than Walt's dual identity, though, is the poster's allusion to Fame. Is it even possible to hear the phrase "remember my name" and not follow it with "fame! I'm gonna live forever … "? No, it is not possible. And thus one wonders if this poster is telling us that Walter White in fact does not die at the end of the series, but instead does what the lyrics of Irene Cara's 1980 hit suggest: "I'm gonna live forever / I'm gonna learn how to fly (high!) / I feel it coming together / People will see me and cry." That is basically Heisenberg's theme song. 
Speaking of Irene Cara and "Fame" ...


Baby, look at me and tell me what you see
You ain't seen the best of me yet
Give me time, I'll make you forget the rest
I've got more in me, and you can set it free
I can catch the moon in my hand
Don't you know who I am?
Remember my name
If you still need a reminder to remember his name and remember her name, here's another one:


This film has no where the brisk pace and sharp action that we're used to in the cinema.  No wonder, it's from 1978, and director Alan Rudolph pays homage to women of the silver screen, the likes of Bette Davis, Barbara Stanwyck and Joan Crawford.  Geraldine Page as Emily is worthy of that comparison, as her acting carries us along a methodical pace and increasingly gripping drama.

No comments:

Post a Comment