Monday, March 17, 2014

Kudos to Sandra Bullock for a Gripping `Gravity



`Gravity was clearly in Beast Mode at the recent Academy Awards ceremony, nabbing a phenomenal seven Oscars on the night.  On top of that, it nailed down six BAFTA Awards and seven Critics Choice Awards.  The film is that rare combination of critical acclaim and commercial success.  It was a big budget flick at $100 million, but since its release last year it has raked in over $700 million at the box office.

That said, `Gravity gripped me from the get-go, as I flew from Chicago to Frankfurt on a business trip.  The stunning cinematography is well-known by now.  But I credit actress Sandra Bullock for making me feeling her horror, and desperation, and grittiness, at varying points in the film.  

When she was careening out of control in space, I felt as if I, too, were tumbling head-over-feet in that mooring-less space.  When she was running out of oxygen, I felt the desperate fight for breath.  When she finally landed on earth, that is, in the water somewhere, and found herself several feet under, struggling to swim up to the surface and straining to shed her massive space suit, I felt like, shit, what else could go wrong?  Will I die, after all that survival in space, a cruel death on earth?

Did I say, Kudos to Bullock for her superb effort in this film?





No comments:

Post a Comment