Friday, December 13, 2013

"Chess" (6) Florence and Molokov


Chess involves a romantic triangle between two players in a World Chess Championship, and the woman who manages one and falls in love with the other.
Reference:  Chess in Concert.

Script[a stretch with no lyrics]
Florence:
You wanna lose your only friend, well keep it up you're doing fine!
This humiliation, why treat me like a fool?
I've taken shit for seven years and I won' t take it anymore! 
Freddie:
I'm only teasing soviets
with gentle bon ami
And you've got better reason
to be anti them than me. 
Florence:
There's a time and there's a place! 
Freddie:
Well how 'bout here and now?
Are you for me or are you for them? 
Florence:
There's a time and there's a place!
Florence and Freddie
Chorus:
1956 - Budapest is rising.
Freddie:
I'd have thought you'd support {Chorus:}
Any attack on these people. {1956 - Budapest is rising.}
On the people who ran
Mindlessly over your childhood.
Don't let them fool you
For 30 years on,
They're the same.
Chorus:
1956 - Budapest is fighting.
1956 - Budapest is falling.
Freddie:
They see chess as a war {Chorus:}
Playing with pawns just like Poland. {1956 - Budapest is dying.}
If you walk out on me
You're really betraying you father.
Were he alive now he'd surely
Be dying of shame.
Florence:
You know that there's nothing I've done
That he'd be ashamed of
In my whole life!
Why'd you have to do this to me?
1956 - Budapest is Rising
Florence:
What's going on around me
Is barely making sense,
I need some explanations fast!
I see my present partner
In the imperfect tense,
And I don't see how we can last.
I feel I need a change of cast
Maybe I'm on nobody's side,
And when he gives me reasons
To justify each move,
They're getting harder to believe.
I know this can't continue,
I've still a lot to prove,
There must be more I could achieve.
But I don't have the nerve to leave!
Florence & Chorus:
Everybody's playing the game,
But nobody's rules are the same,
Nobody's on nobody's side.
Better learn to go it alone,
Recognize you're out on your own,
Nobody's on nobody's side.
Florence:
The one I should not think of
Keeps rolling through my mind,
And I don't want to let that go!
No lover's ever faithful,
No contract truly signed,
There's nothing certain left to know.
And how the cracks begin to show!
Florence & Chorus:
Never make a promise or plan,
Take a little love where you can,
Nobody's on nobody's side.
Never stay too long in your bed,
Never lose your heart, use your head!
Nobody's on nobody's side.
Florence:
Side!
Never take a stranger's advice,
Never let a friend fool you twice, {Chorus:
Nobody's on nobody's side. {Nobody's on nobody's side.}
Florence & Chorus:
Never be the first to believe,
Never be the last to deceive,
Nobody's on nobody's side.
Florence: {Chorus:}
Never leave a moment too soon, {Never leave a moment too soon,}
Never waste a hot afternoon, {Never waste a hot afternoon,} {Nobody's on nobody's side,}
Never stay too long! {Never stay a minute too long.}
Florence & Chorus:
Don't forget the best will go wrong,
Nobody's on nobody's side!
Nobody's on Nobody's Side!

No comments:

Post a Comment