Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Yeah Rite à la The Exorcist



I just love the takeoff on the classic horror The Exorcist (1973) and recently The Rite (2011).  By and large such films don't frighten me, because I can immerse myself in their suspense and mystery, while drawing a line on their implausibility in the back of my mind.  Moreover, I remember seeing The Exorcist with my younger brother, when we were teens, and finding myself chuckle at a few of its scenes. 

So Yeah Rite is not only a clever pun on the sarcastic American expression of disbelief yeah right, but it is also a comic turn for an otherwise frightful flick.  When the mother sighs Thanks God you're here, I hear my Arab and Indian friends in Dubai say the same thing, which sounds funny to an American ear that is used to hearing thank God, instead.  The faux black eyes, on both the girl and mother, signal from the start that we're in for an amusement ride. 

No comments:

Post a Comment