Wednesday, August 7, 2013

"A Chorus Line" is an Enduring Favorite


I seem to have always loved a stage musical.  "A Chorus Line," being just one example.  I was fortunate to see it on stage, years ago at the Shubert Theater in Chicago, from the second row!

Here are my favorite numbers:



This is a fine performance by Alyson Reed, as Cassie, in the 1985 film adaptation by Richard Attenborough.  Accomplished singers sometimes misconstrue the meaning and import of the songs they sing, and end up overpowering the piece.  Indeed it takes singing prowess, and clearly acting talent is also a prerequisite.  



Just as it's hard to find a good performance of "What I did for Love," I've had to scour YouTube to find a rendition of "Nothing" I liked.  Priscilla Lopez's is one of a very few.  It's more like a musical monologue, but her pitch and expressions are just perfect.     

Finally, a stirring finale!


Mikhail Baryshnikov with the cast from "A Chorus Line" in the finale "One". Taken from the TV Show "Baryshnikov on Broadway - with Liza Minnelli" from 1980 (Directed by Dwight Hemion).

No comments:

Post a Comment